An Insider’s Story of the Sonics’ Resurgence, the Trail Blazers’ Turnaround, and the Deal that Saved the Seahawks
People are always asking me to share anecdotes about my decades in professional sports, to tell the stories behind the stories. They want answers to many questions. What are the players really like? How do you know which coach to hire? Will Seattle get another NBA team? What does a general manger actually do? How do you get a job in professional sports?
I’ve always been inspired by sports fans, so I decided to write a book to answer all the questions and share stories from behind the front-office curtain. Game Changer, An Insider’s Story of the Sonics’ Resurgence, the Trail Blazers’ Turnaround, and the Deal that Saved the Seahawks, publishes October 10, 2023.
This book offers insights and stories from the glory days of these three beloved teams, including:
- How I decided the mercurial George Karl was the right man to coach Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton and the rest of the scene-stealing Sonics team
- The complexity and maneuvering required to acquire Scottie Pippen for the Portland Trail Blazers
- The truth behind the heroics needed to keep the Seahawks in Seattle
- My time-tested negotiation tips for any situation
- Advice for how to get a job in professional sports
- My rankings of the all-time best NBA players and coaches
Ranking NBA players and coaches is a very subjective. I explain my methodology and update my lists after each season. The following is a partial list from the book.
Trader Bob’s second five best NBA coaches of all-time:
(6) Jerry Sloan
(7) George Karl
(8) Don Nelson
(9) Steve Kerr
(10) Erik Spoelstra
An unprecedented view into the front office of three of the most beloved franchises in the NBA and NFL during their most pivotal years, Game Changer offers a new vision for pro sports, perfect for students of the game, lifelong fans, and sophisticated dealmakers alike. This project was a labor of love for me and includes a 16-page color photo insert with photos like the one of Scottie Pippen below.
I hope you enjoy reading this book as much as I enjoyed writing it.